Sunday, February 22, 2009
Big Church
The kids and I spent this past week in Sylvania since they were on winter break. We went to see Mimi on her birthday, went shopping and just hung out. Today, Mom called us as we were getting ready for church to tell us that Debra asked Emma Tucker to come to the children's sermon in big church. For those of you who know me well, know I have never ventured anywhere quiet with Emma Tucker. Her inquisitive and lively personality lends itself to ballfields, playgrounds or anyplace that noise is the norm. Mom was thrilled because she has been on us to take her places so she will learn to sit still. Ok... we did and I realize there has to be a first for everything. Before church, I was explaining to her we had to sit still in our seats like we did when we went to see Elmo live. Wrong example to use... she started standing up and saying ''Where's Elmo? I can't see Elmo". Brandon manages to get her calmed down after trying to run around the balcony for a little bit when Gamma walks in to play the prelude. While Gamma is playing the organ Emma Tucker stands up, waves, and yells " Gamma! Hey Gamma!" over and over. The choir is all laughing at her but Gamma never hears her this time. Later on when it got quiet again, she yells down at her again! It is so hard to fuss at her because I am cracking up at her along with everyone else. I was just thinking... Hey Gamma! This was your idea! Anyway, we make it through the prayer and the first hymn and it is time for the children's sermon. Debra is using the cell phone as an example so of course Emma Tucker makes a bee line (climbing over all the children) to get to the phone. She gets it and stands there dialing as many numbers as she can until Debra thinks she probably should get her phone back. Now, Emma Tucker needs something else to do. Her new focus is on the microphone and I start sweating bullets! What is she going to say? Well, she just grabs the microphone starts saying "Hey!" She does that twice and makes it through the rest of the children's sermon. As they are supposed to be leaving in an orderly fashion, she grabs the microphone one last time and says, "bye". Boy am I glad our church doesn't do children's sermons!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





1 comment:
Can I just say that I LOVE that you call it big church! It makes me feel like a kid again!!
Post a Comment